- Clinical cardiologist with focus on sports cardiology at Hartcentrum Hasselt (Belgium)
- Visiting professor at U Hasselt and KU Leuven Belgium
- Honorary Researcher at the Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne Australia
- Chairman of the Medical Committee of Belgian Cycling
- Nucleus Member of the EAPC Sports Cardiology Section
- Board Member of the Belgian Working Group of Non-invasive Cardiac Imaging
His research focuses on the effects of endurance exercise on the human heart and the integration of exercise evaluation into the management of patients with cardiovascular disease. Guido is one of the primary investigators on 2 international research initiatives, the Pro@Heart and Master@Heart studies (www.proatheart.be). Both studies aim to investigate the long-term effects of intensive endurance exercise on the cardiovascular system. He is (co-) author of 83 scientific publications indexed in Web of Science (h-index 22). Guido has presented more than 20 abstracts at international scientific meetings as first author and is regularly invited as faculty speaker at several international meetings. He has written invited reviews and editorials in JACC Imaging, The Journal of Physiology and other high impact journals and given multiple plenary lectures on athlete’s heart at the European Society of Cardiology annual congresses.